Sony a6000: The Best-Selling Mirrorless Camera of All Time [Review]
The Sony a6000 Silver is a compact but powerful mirrorless camera. Its technology is out of this world and won’t leave you wanting for more. You can do everything from shoot some candid shots on your hike to shoot an HD movie.
We will go through its specifications as well as some additional features that are noteworthy. With it’s unlimited settings and endless accessories, you will be asking yourself what you can’t do with the a6000. It is a camera that you can just pick up and go. If that suits your lifestyle then this one is for you.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
What are the Sony a6000 Specifications?
- 24.3MP APS-C Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor. Detailed photographs never looked so good with this higher resolution camera.
- BIONZ X Image Processor. Replicate textures and fine details you see in person with your shot. It doesn’t get more real than this.
- Tru-Finder 0.39″ 1,440k-Dot OLED EVF. Sony went all out with the new view-finder. Four double aspherical lenses allow you to see the shot or video exactly like it’s going to be, filters and all.
- 3.0″ 921k-Dot Xtra Fine Tilting LCD. Tilt your large LCD screen so you can get the best shot possible. On top of flexibility, the WhiteMagic technology increases your ability to see the screen in bright daylight.
- Full HD 1080p XAVC S Video at 24/60 fps. Whether a fast action shot movie or full on cinematic experience is on your list, the a6000 can do it for you with ease.
- Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity with NFC. Beyond the benefits of Wi-Fi, NFC allows you to view images on your smartphone without wires.
- Fast Hybrid AF & 179 Phase-Detect Points. Speed and accuracy are key here. Incredibly fast AF works with contrast detection to achieve the fastest autofocusing of any camera at 0.06 seconds.
- Up to 11 fps Shooting and ISO 25600. Never miss an action shot again. 11 fps shooting with AF tracking results in an out of this world shot, still or video.
- Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Zoom Lens. Included in your base kit, this lens will do a variety of shots. It’s biggest feature is the Optical SteadyShot image stabilization.
- Built-in Pop-up Flash. You don’t need to lug around a giant flash anymore. Keep your camera compact and use the built in flash.
These main features enable the user to just point, click, and shoot. They couldn’t have made this an easier camera to operate. It’s easy to see why there have been so many good reviews.
Want to buy one now? Head over to Amazon by clicking here.
What Accessories do you Recommend?
Every great camera needs it’s accessories to take you to the next level. While the a6000 has a lot of amenities, there are a few products that will enhance your experience.
A Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Lens for Sony E-Mount Cameras is a must if you desire artistic pictures, video capture, sports, and nature shots. It’s wide zoom range is 82-315mm. It’s Optical Steady Shot image stabilization makes sure your video is not shaky. It also will allow you to take stunning photos or video even in low light situations. It’s ultra quiet and creates crystal clear images. What’s not to love?
The Case Logic DCB-304 Compact System/Hybrid Camera Case is the perfect way to keep your camera safe and secure on the go. You also will be able to grab your camera instantly if a spectacular unexpected photo opportunity presents itself. The integrated belt loop, padded handle, and removable shoulder strap make it easy and comfortable to carry. Use the side zippered pockets to store any and all extra accessories you choose.
A Wasabi Power Battery (2-pack) and charger is a must. If you never want to run out of power, having extra batteries and a charger should be at the top of your priority list. Feel free to extend photo shoots or simply pack this with you for a long vacation.
There is nothing worse than missing a good picture because you run out of storage. Either that or having to delete some pictures to make room for more can be very frustrating. If you get the SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB SDXC Flash Memory Card, you will have an extra 64GB available to use. Just keep shooting.
There are a lot more accessories available depending on how artistic you want to get with your photography or videography. Options range from more lenses, tripods, and remotes to straps and Adobe Photoshop.
Where Can I Buy the Sony a6000 Silver and How Much Does It Cost?
Sony currently lists the a6000 body at $549.99 MSRP. Amazon, as always, is very competitive with them.
Buying through Amazon allows you to return the camera in 30 days hassle free. You also get the option of two day shipping for free if you have Amazon Prime. It’s hard to beat Amazon’s prompt delivery and customer service.
On top of purchasing through Amazon, you still receive Sony’s warranty. The warranty allows you to get the camera replaced or fixed for free within 1 year of purchase date.
Additional Features Worth Mentioning
The features on the Sony a6000 are virtually endless. We hit the main specifications in the beginning, but there are some more features you should know about.
- It’s ability to work with a vast array of lenses and lens adapters is unparalleled using their E-mount technology.
- One shooting mode you will love is the Auto Object Framing. It actually has the technology to assess what you are shooting and determine a composition for it. It even has face detection. The result? Your picture will be well balanced and cropped to perfection.
- The digital zoom technology is unheard of. Clear Image Zoom magnifies the center of your picture by 2x. In layman’s terms, it does this to deliver a zoomed in picture that is clean and crisp.
- There are so many different settings to apply to your pictures, your creativity will surge. There are: Color/B&W, Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (Red, green, blue, yellow), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft High-Key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Richtone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolor, and Illustration. That was a mouthful but I’m sure you are day dreaming of endless photo possibilities now.
- In addition to the different settings, you can also adjust light, color, brightness, etc. to have even more options.
- If you find yourself in a challenging lighting situation, you can turn on Superior Auto Mode. This setting can comprehend the setting and environment. It will then adjust your settings so that you get the image you are looking for.
- If you are trying to take photos of a moving subject, you can utilize the Anti-Motion Blur feature. It will correct any movement so that you don’t get a blurry blob but instead a crystal clear photo of your subject. How can it do that? It takes 6 sequential frames and combines them to get your subject stationary and clear.
- Combining both the Anti-Motion Blur and Superior Auto Mode, Hand-Held Twilight Mode can be handy for getting a moving subject in low lighting. It also uses 6 images and combines them along with lighting help to get the picture you are seeing.
- Once you get the hang of your camera, you can really start exploring. There are six different styles based on the subject matter. They include: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, and B&W.
- A really fun feature is creating a slide show right on your camera. You can simply connect your camera to an HDTV with the HDMI port. Your photography will come to life in front of you. It’s such a brilliant way to display your work.
- I’m not sure that many people use a regular plug in charger anymore. The a6000 can be charged via USB. Sony is definitely keeping up with the technology pace on this one.
Are the Lenses Interchangeable?
Yes. One of the best features about the a6000 is its compatibility with all Sony alpha lenses. It is also compatible with Sony FE and Sony E (NEX) mountings.
If you choose the package containing the body and a6000, you will receive the black 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Retractable Zoom Lens. This will provide a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-75mm. It covers wide-angle and portrait-length photos making it very diverse.
The Optical SteadyShot image stabilization helps keep your image and video steady up to four shutter speed steps. That also drastically improves working in low-light situations with a better zoom utilizing the Power Zoom mechanism.
Another key factor is the four aspherical elements embodied into the optical structure to help reduce chromatic aberrations as well as increase precision, bite, and diversity in your photos.
There are lots of other lenses to choose from. If you have a favorite in the Sony alpha lens line, try it out on the a6000. The Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Lens also comes highly recommended specifically for this camera.
Are the Batteries Interchangeable?
Yes. The Sony a6000 comes with one NP-FW50 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery (1020mAh). This will last you about 240 pictures. However, if you are going for a longer battery life it’s highly recommended to buy a Wasabi Battery pack in addition to the provided battery. It also comes with a USB charger.
Does it Have Wi-Fi Built In?
Yes, it does. Wi-Fi is perfect for on the go and going cordless. The Sony a6000 also has NFC or Near Field Communication. It’s now easier than ever to share your artistry with the world.
A really convenient feature of the a6000 is that it’s compatible with your smartphone or tablet using the PlayMemories Mobile App. Connect your photos with one touch using the NFC compatible device.
Can I Make Videos?
You can make so much more than just your average homemade video. The a6000 boasts Full HD 1920×1080 video in 24p. If you are looking for something less spectacular, you can always grab a fast action film at 60p and 60i frame-rates.
It’s 179 point AF system makes the quality incredible. Blu-ray has nothing on your new cinematic expose.
Are you an expert videographer? This camera is for you. You can easily upload to the web making editing that much easier. You can also use an external recording device with the HDMI connection.
There are apps available for your cinematic ventures. From time lapse to motion shots, you can browse through the apps to find the right feature for your next film. Send quickly to your partner via Wi-Fi or upload to the Cloud for ease of use.
Does it Have Image Stabilization?
Yes it does have image stabilization, but not in the actual camera base. The a6000 requires a lens for image stabilization. Sony does offer lenses that have Optical SteadyShot.
Sony wanted to keep the camera compact and adding in image stabilization would have bulked it up quite a bit. Adding a lens is not a huge undertaking. The base kit comes with a 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Retractable Zoom Lens. This does have the Optical SteadyShot. So, in a way, the a6000 does have image stabilization.
Is the Sony a6000 Silver Full-Frame?
The Sony a6000 is a mirrorless camera. We’ve discussed the differences between mirrorless and DSLR in our Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II review. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.
Mirrorless cameras are more lightweight and faster. If you are looking for an on the go camera, a mirrorless camera like the a6000 is right up your alley.
Does it Have an Autofocus Motor?
We have already discussed the amazing autofocus technology in the a6000. However, it’s worth mentioning that this enhanced fast hybrid AF is some of the fastest of any cameras. It does this by doing a few things at once. It has quick phase detection, accurate contrast detection, and puts those through a spatial object detection algorithm. It’s motor is quiet so it won’t distract you from taking those amazing shots.
Is this Camera Good for Beginners?
Yes! It’s such an easy camera to operate, but it helps you progress as a photographer. You can grow into it. While the base kit comes with the 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Retractable Zoom Lens, Sony leaves the options open for you to advance with its interchangeable lenses.
It’s also compact and easy to haul around. This is ideal for the beginning photographer who doesn’t necessarily need the biggest and best camera. The 16mm lens is appropriate for all sorts of shots making it the perfect starter lens. If you find yourself needing to zoom in more, you can always obtain another lens.
The image quality is superb. You will instantly see the difference between your old camera and this one. People will start questioning if you have taken a photography course. The best part about that is that the better you get, the better your pictures are going to look. You will just be ahead of the curve.
The Sony a6000 is a wonderful example of everything you want in a camera. It’s truly a camera that you can use as a beginner and grow into but it’s complex enough for a professional. There are endless amounts of accessories and lenses to create the artwork or snapshots you desire.
The a6000 is also at the top of it’s class in cinematography. You can expect quality videos whether for the cinema or home memories. It’s AF technology is the fastest available. If you are looking for speed, accuracy, and compact, the Sony a6000 is the camera for you.